The Source: Works From The South London Gallery Collection
The South London Fine Art Gallery, as it was then called, opened at its current location on Peckham Road in 1891. The site would not have been secured without the vision and determination of a group of men and women, many of whom were artists themselves. It was their passion, commitment and ability to fundraise that ensured that the gallery had a permanent home, one it has now occupied for nearly 130 years.
This display in the first floor galleries of the Fire Station focuses on some of the artists, among them João Penalva, that helped found the South London Gallery, their belief in social reform through art, literature and learning, and the ongoing legacy of their work.
For more information, please click here.
Image: João Penalva, The Hair of Mr Ruskin, 1997, collection of the South London Gallery
Photo credit: Courtesy the artist and the Serralves Foundation, Porto, Portugal.
Photography: Mário Valente