Volunteer Training Programme
We have six month placements available on the training volunteer programme in London from September 2017. If you are available during this time period, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below is an example of some of the duties you will be involved in.
General Administration Tasks:
- General filing and gallery administration.
- Answering the phone and directing calls to the gallery team.
- Preparing offer documents on behalf of the sales team.
- Carrying out research, including sourcing provenance, exhibition history and
literature on works of art.
- Updating the events calendar, handling invitations and informing staff of upcoming
- Ad-hoc duties relating to the management of artists and clients.
- Sourcing articles, features and any news, both printed and online, relating
to the gallery artists.
- Re-formatting and archiving press articles.
- Updating artist biographies and bibliographies for the gallery archives, database
- Creating Adobe PDF documents and artist packs.
- Assisting with all aspects related to social media and online networking such
as Facebook and Twitter.
- Scanning, editing and resizing images.
- Assisting with the management of the gallery library and magazine archive.
- Ordering and logging publications, maintaining a record of each book borrowed,
sold or gifted.
- Carrying out audits on artists’ books for sale.
- Marking up and archiving auction catalogues after each relevant sale.
- Handling stationary orders and office supplies.
- A graduate in Art History, Fine Art or Museum studies is preferable.
- A keen interest in and knowledge of contemporary art.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Computer literate (MS office, particularly Microsoft Word, Excel, and Adobe
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- If you are interested in applying to work as a volunteer gallery assistant please
email your CV, your availability (which days per week you are available and how
long you think you are interested in volunteering for) as well as a short statement
about your interest in the gallery and how working here would fit with your own
plans for your future career, to Alkistis Tsabouraki at
- Next, we will arrange a short, informal meeting before places are confirmed and
start dates organised.
- We reimburse travel and lunch expenses.
Law & Legislation:
- Volunteers are not employees of Simon Lee Gallery and therefore are not subject
to employment law. However, all volunteers under the organisations supervision
are covered under Simon Lee Gallery Employer’s and Public liability insurance.